Veritee' s Learning Journal - Ultraversity

This is my learning journal for the three years of the BA (Hon) degree in Learning, Technology and Research

Friday, April 21, 2006

Very Angry

The Learning Facilitator Stephen covering the modual disscussion page for Alison - Wrote this - when what I was actually - and very clearly asking for was someone to READ my work so far and give me some personally tailored and REAL help!!! I think this is reasonable and the least I should expect at this stage!!! - on our first module!!!

Posted by Stephen at April 20, 2006 09:46 PM

We assess the body of the report, not the appendices as they are just supporting eveidence. The maximum limit is 4000 words and when submitting you shoould stae that 4000 words is the length of the report - no more! If you state that you have gone over the word count, then a 10% will be deduction will be applied to your mark. http://web.apu.ac.uk/anet/students/ugassess_regs/pt6.phtml There are, however, grey areas, for example, how many words does a piece of video count for? In addition, dont't count the following... "In determining what counts as text within the word limit, abstracts (if required) indented quotations, tables, figures, diagrams, footnotes/endnotes, bibliography and appendices shall be excluded. However, footnotes/endnotes must be contained within reasonable limits and should be used for reference purposes and not to extend the text. help you to improve your skills. However you produce your work, please remember to number your pages and write your SID number on each. This is, of course, very easily done using headers and footers." The rules are clear, but don't lose sleep over this, just state no more than the maximum word count and be sure it is clear to those assessing your works that when they read it that it is within the spirit of the regulations - they may count but only if it is obviously excessive.


________________________________________

Is this an answer? The rules are useful but by now I have glened them form elsewhere - I have repeatedly asked for a LF to READ my work – and all I get is a meaningless stock answer – I was expecting a sort of virtual tutorial , perhaps a Skype phone call , so we could go through my work together and help me decide what I can cut our and what I can't (i.e. what is essential)

And its too late now!

If it was not a HUGE problem for me I would never have asked – I had already tried the peer review and while people were complimentary and some did mention I needed to cut it down,
no one as been able to help me with HOW!

I have asked and got peer reviews I did this before asking for LF help, as I still felt I needed more help. I do not feel we as peers can at this early stage decide what in module work is important and what if necessary can be dumped with no lose of marks. Maybe further along the line when we have done a few modules and understand at an intuitive level what is important to include and what is not for the purposes of this Degree, then we can offer each other this kind of feedback and support – but not at this stage.

So I asked clearly in Plone for a Learning Facilitator to READ my work and given me an opinion and I feel that the facilitators on this course have badly let me down – first of all a deadline unacceptably just after a holiday (surely we are entitled to a holiday too and not to have this pressure during Easter?
This is very bad timing all round a deadline at the end of a holiday where some LF's are away and even if not away are probably are spending time with their own families - as I would very much like to be - and the deadline being just after a weekend when for the 3 days leading up to it researchers are bound to be struggling with their final presentation and need some feedback but as LF have families too - they are less likely to be around
but we are all busy people too!
and then my LF goes on holiday herself over Easter -
I expect now for saying this I have scuppered my chances of any further help from Alison or even may get kicked off the course - as I know from being a lecturer myself that it is considered unacceptable - not necessarily openly but it does not go down well - for a student to make personal comments about lectures lives - but I never had these divisions.

What I am saying is not actually intended to be personal though at all. As far as I am concerend it is up to LF when they take theri holodays .I guess if it is OK with their employers than LF are entitled to whatever time off they wish and when. This is just my anger at the lack of cover if any LF is to be away at this crucial time of our first module submission!

As it would have been OK if someone had been able to take Alisons work over properly and fully cover for her holiday by giving students proper support at this time - which near a deadline we are bound to need extra support.
I could very much have done with a Skype call while I was doing the work from a LF even is only for reasurance and just to show and interest and maybe a personal email from whoever was covering Alison to say she was away and they would be covering - or even an email form Alison to say when she would not be available and to give me the email of the covering LF. The same email could have gone out to all this LF's researchers, so it would not have been just me.

As it was I learned that she was away on Plone - and then by the time I could spare my time to go back on Plone the message about my LF holiday was right at the top of the page and while it said two weeks - it did not give the exact dates - which I think is crucial when you are away at a time your students have a deadline!!



And then when I ask for help, ask for someone to read my work and give me some real help.................

All I get only this un -personalised and stock answer above



What I wanted - and indeed expected for my course fee was; in a situation like this whereby I have tried to solve the problem I had right from the beginning - of too many words – a situation I have already tried to solve on my own and with support from peers...........................
Was that at this stage I should have been offered an emergency tutorial , via Skype or phone or even email , with someone who knows the requirements and has actually read my work and is prepared to help me find a way of cutting down the word count.

I think this is a reasonable thing to expect when I was so obviously appealing for help and have had the same problem all along the module but have until now not bothered any LF or even my peers and tried to sole it myself!!!
So I think I am entitled to a bit of time???

As while the fee for this course is not as much as some Degrees I think I could expect at LEAST this amount of input from the LF.

After all what else are we getting for our money? (money I can not afford by the way)

No one has to deliver any lectures this is a VERY cheap way of running a Degree once you have paid for any software and the technician’s wages and admin.

I am very well aware how cheap it is to run anything on-line compared to face to face as I run an online community too. And the fact is that I can run my online PNI support group for 700 members for 6 months to a year for the cost of running a face to face PNI support group locally for a couple of months!!!

Online I have no costs for travel, premises, heating, light, furniture, crèche workers or other childcare, paper and other materials such as flip charts toys for children, even no tea, coffee and loo paper costs and cleaning costs? And it is the same with this Degree – it is a VERY inexpensive way of delivering a course –

All get for my money is an impersonal and stock answer and NO attempt whatsoever to actually READ my work and engage in a dialogue with me about it!!!!

So then I lost it!!


I am so angry and seriously doubting I should be on this course??

VeriteeXX

PS Does anyone ever READ this learning journal anyway!!

9 Comments:

  • At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "surely we are entitled to a holiday too and not to have this pressure during Easter?"

    stop whining... 'entitled'?? do you want this education or not? it's not a freaking party, you have to earn it, loser.

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger HIV and Us said…

    Dear Anon

    Well at least I have the courage to air my views openly and in my own name - and what’s more I have invited others to view what I say and make comments.

    I do not have to publish what you said as I moderate the comments so I could have deleted your misinformed words – but I chose not to as believe in freedom of opinion

    One thing I have never been is a loser -as if I do continue you will learn is true

    So this makes me wonder where you are coming from with this and what your problem is with my very real frustrations??

    What’s it to you? As they say ?

    Really I am interested, I would like to know why this has made YOU so angry!!!!

    But if you choose to answer I would like you to have the guts to put your name on it

    All the best

    Veritee

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger HIV and Us said…

    Thanks Alex

    Well at least I found that others do read what I put here sometimes.

    In part it does not matter if it is not read; I see it as a place I can off-load safely as you can see.

    (but I am not sure about the safety at the moment though if I get someone abusing me as anon did - not sure what that was all about for them but perhaps they will explain???)

    I do know that my reaction to this frustration is over the top - but I am a sort of over the tip person - this is who I am and always will be - at 53 I doubt I shall change now.

    I also know that I am not the only one to be feeling upset at this point, I have sensed that others are not happy too and for different reasons..

    And just because I rave sometimes does not mean I do not want to help others
    so if I can help you with anything please let me know?

    I do hope you get your work done too - I haven’t slept also over this for about 5 days so I understand about the sleepless nights - as I have been working till 3 or 4 and then cant sleep and then start again in the morning. I think my outburst was caused by thinking it was over I'd done it and then realising I had to cut it down yet more and absolutely no one was going to give me any real help or advice on how to do this- and I haven't a clue
    I do think there should have been more help available when I asked for it!!!
    But I have given up now - what will be will be

    Thank you so much for taking the time out from your work to be supportive to me
    And I hope you too get your work done.

    VeriteeXX

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger Linda said…

    Hi Veritee, I'm in Cohort 1 and I read your Learning Journal :-) I'm sorry to say that your experience of the LFs is pretty standard but your opinions aren't likely to get you thrown off the course! I'm still here :-) and so is Andy Roberts, so I'm pretty sure you are safe! I've made it this far, dyslexia and all, only 2 modules to go. Phew!

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've always had minimal feedback from LF's during module work because that's how I like it - I want to be an independent learner and realise my true potential by submission, not spoon feeding LF feedback.

    Be confident in your work - Year 1 marks don't count and you'll soon get to grips with what's needed. You will be more proud to get the degree under your own steam and direction than by step by step advice from LF's.

    Really! Be confident in your own work. Work with the wide range of researchers, you will learn so much. Being anti-establishment at this stage will only make you miserable - good luck!

     
  • At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    .......also moderating your comments is a bit controlling - its put me off coming again:-) If you don't like what's written delete or ignore it - Chill!

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger HIV and Us said…

    To Anon

    I did not moderate until I had the viscous anon post above - so I thought I had better moderate it to protect others as much as myself as I can always be around and if people are not prepared to put their name on what they say then they are not going to care if they over step the line and abuse or insult...

    and this is not just my personal blog for the sake of it - it is my learning journal -

    I take your point about being an independent learner and realising your potential this way - to a degree this is exactly what I intend to do

    but I was just finding my feet , defining the boundaries, I have always been an independent learner but I have not operated within academia for a long time - so wanted some input at this stage

    But why anon are you scared to put your name on what you say??

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm shy! LOL

     
  • At 12:00 AM, Blogger HIV and Us said…

    Oh as they say in Cornwall
    Dear Luva!!

    Shy!!LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home