Veritee' s Learning Journal - Ultraversity

This is my learning journal for the three years of the BA (Hon) degree in Learning, Technology and Research

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Time to Pull the Rabbit out of a Hat!



Module (UNB2602)
I am really worried now..

I have not been on the Ultraversity work or been doing the work really .

I sort of got stuck!!

First I wrote loads - more than 4000 words in itself and I was full of ideas .

Then Alison pointed out that I had already done too many words and not really done much of the module - and all my ideas just melted away and I really could not think of a thing to do or a thing to write. Not my learning facilitators Alison's fault at all, it was just how I reacted to this feedback

- I come over so confident academically but I have not studied for a long time so I needed to be told that what I had written however long, was good - not just OK , or acceptable - but good and interesting and worthwhile - I think I was looking to be told it was really good for me to feel it was worth doing

I rely on others for reassurance far too much when it comes to this sort of thing........

So I tried to get over the block by concentrating on the technology side as I enjoy this and so I made an e-book of a day in my life and I made a web page which I do not think will be wasted as I think will be part of the next module as it askes you to make a web page and explore web technology, see:


http://firstclass.ultraversity.net/~Veritee.Reed.hall/

But this did not really help the situation with this module as I am no further on and have less than 2 weeks to get it all done??? Having spent too long with messing about with technology which was not really the focus of this module


But my being unable to work was not just about being stuck.

It was also due to a series of things which meant it was all overwhelming to me - my old dog died and the very next day my husband was called unexpectedly back to sea - he was not supposed to go till the end of that week!
( he had been off for a while looking after me as I had an operation to reconstruct my leg and fuse my ankle to my leg in January)

And I am still not able to walk much and stand to cook etc , but he had to go back to work, which was a disaster as I was not really ready to take over the house, looking after our child who although 16 still needs lifts to college etc and I have only just started driving again and I am very nervous. Plus having to walk the other dog, looking after the huge yard and 5 cats as well plus a cow?? etc.

And of course we were all so very sad because we had lost a dog who had been a member of our family for about 15 years!

Then of course my husband took his laptop with him to sea - and I had been using his laptop to access University sites and to do my work as I find it uncomfortable to sit at my desktop for too long due to my leg - so all the data was on there and there was not enough time to copy it onto my desktop as he went so suddenly, so I had to start again with things I had not saved on my desktop!!


Then I found I could not sit at the desktop very long and when I did feel able to I had to give priority to the online community forum I run and what my work is all about see:
http://veritee.proboards7.com

And these has been - as there always are - some very difficult issues on there which required a lot of my time

I really need to get my time more organised too as I probably could write less on http://veritee.proboards7.com and spend more time doign this course - indeed I am gging to have to if I am to get through it.


Then my desktop PC crashed big time and needed reinstalling, which all takes time - I used such a lot of multimedia programs and my desktop is about 5 years old now so I continually overload it and over stress it - so the OS usually falls over about every 6 months - but this meant I could not access my email as I did not have it on my old laptop as yet ............ so if any one has emailed me - sorry - I will look at it and reply tomorrow.
Then because I found sitting at a desk too uncomfortable I tried to get my old laptop working - which I did after I reinstalled it - but then its power supply broke and I have been waiting for another one which then came today - this now works so I can sit on a sofa to come on here now - so this should be OK again.

But I am behind on everything and
REALLY STARTING TO PANIC!!!
As I have done very little of my module at all!!!!!

I think I am probably going to have to ask for an extension due to my PC problems - and this is only my first 'real' module !!!!!

I just hope I can pull the rabbit out of the hat in time with this one??





1 Comments:

  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Veritee,

    Time for a masters? We now have the follow on to the BA LTR BA LTT validated and ready to go.
    Contact me if interested on anthony.russell@anglia.ac.uk

    Best wishes,

    Anthony

     

Post a Comment

<< Home